The North Carolina Certified Turfgrass Professional (NCCTP) program is a comprehensive program developed to enhance the technical competency of turfgrass professionals while elevating your professional image, that of your business and of the turfgrass management industry. Administered by the Turfgrass Council of North Carolina, the NCCTP designation confirms your expertise in turfgrass management to prospective customers and your peers.
Six Reasons to Earn Your NCCTP Designation
1. The NCCTP designation confers immediate credibility by confirming your knowledge of turfgrass management practices to customers and prospective employers.
2. NCCTPs are grandfathered into the proposed Landscape Contractors’ Licensing legislation, avoiding the headaches of additional testing.
3. The Turfgrass Management Subclass License in the Landscape Contractors Licensing proposal is based on the NCCTP program and exam. Once again, you can be grandfathered into the new requirements and avoid added testing.
4. Earning your NCCTP has never been more affordable.
5. NCCTP exam prep courses are available, as well as self study materials, to help you get ready for the exam.
6. All the “other stuff”:
- You’ll be able to promote and market yourself as a North Carolina Certified Turfgrass Professional
- You’ll be able to use the NCCTP logo on your business correspondence
- You’ll get a pin, uniform patches and vehicle decals to promote your status as a NCCTP
- You get association support with promotional tools and adverting publicity opportunities to help promote your status as a NCCTP
- You’ll get public visibility for customer referrals from TCNC’s website
Fast Facts about the NCCTP Program - (Click here for Enrollment & Maintenance Document)
NCCTP Program Enrollment & Maintenance Requirements: Enrollment in the NCCTP program requires a minimum of one full year of work experience in the turfgrass industry and a valid NC Pesticide applicators license.
- All candidates must subscribe to the NCCTP Code of Conduct as detailed on the application form.
- Enrollment fees are as follow:
- Candidates have six months from the date of their enrollment acceptance to complete the NCCTP exam.
- The exam covers 9 core areas: Turfgrass Characteristics; Establishing Turfgrass; Soils & Nutrient Management; Cultural Practices; Pests & Integrated Pest Management; Pesticides & Plant Growth Regulators; Landscape Safety & Pesticide Use; Calculations & Calibration; Turfgrass Business & Economics.
- Candidates have 6 hours to complete the exam and must score 80% or more on each section to receive the NCCTP designation.
- Exams can be taken at the TCNC office in Morrisville during normal business hours or special arrangements can be made at your local extension location.
- Exams will not be graded if any application information is missing or if TCNC membership status cannot be confirmed.
- Please allow 2-3 weeks for exam grading and reports.
- Upon successful completion of the exam, candidates will receive communication of the results with next step options or a packet containing several important items such as their NCCTP plaque, pin, patches, vehicle decals and license plate.
Maintenance of the certification designation requires:
- Current TCNC membership as a means of demonstrating continued support for the industry.
- A $50 renewal fee to maintain the designation. (Funds provide support for the NCCTP program and related promotional activities)
Current pesticide license.
The NC Certified Turfgrass Professional designation (NCCTP), the NCCTP logo and related programs materials are the trademarked property of the Turfgrass Council of North Carolina and cannot be used without TCNC’s written permission. For additional information contact TCNC at 919.459.2070.